Wednesday, May 27, 2009

That tug on my heart...

I'm seriously thinking about joining the American College of Nurse-Midwives as an associate member with an eye toward building a business as a freelance writer covering midwifery topics. It's $135 a year, but if I can land just one professional level writing gig as a result, that becomes tax-deductible.

That does include a subscription to their professional, peer-reviewed journal and their newsletter, as well as access to their advocacy component, facilitating my ability to gather news and information about nurse-midwifery practice and distill it into layman's terms.

In a way, pursuing this would be fusing the 20-something me with the 30-something me in a way that I'd never considered possible.

I also noticed that the Virginia Midwife chapter site seems to have fallen by the wayside. That might also be a potential income source.

All of these things are things I'm considering because in a perfect world, I'd go on to Dean's insurance policy, move to half-time at AFCEA, and work the rest as a consultant so that I could be a better mom to Bunky. In fact, anything at this point I can do to become a full-time freelancer, I'd be all over. There's the church 2.0 route, but I've already established that I couldn't make a living off that alone, especially in this economy.

1 comments:

doodlemaier said...

The financial future's going to require just such a diversified approach, I believe. Who knows, even this crack-pot shit I have going with the honeybees may one day soon be a possible source of revenue, as well.

Post a Comment