Thursday, April 9, 2009

The TMI story of why congratulations is so... ironic.

I was going to post this to Facebook but thought better of it. But I think without it, people just think I'm an ungrateful bitch.

The problem I really have with congrats is the irony of them. In February, my doctor was encouraging me to teach my non-pill version of birth control, for as good as I seemed to be at it. A month later, I was in her office with proof of its fail, despite having used the technique successfully for three years. And here I was thinking I had an interesting freelance career as a women's health advocate in front of me. That said, the biggest reason most contraceptive methods fail is because of user error, and it's every bit as true in this case. Not the technique itself, so much as the fact that we, like other older couples who find themselves in the same predicament, had gotten a bit lax.

So keep congratulating me for my failure, people. Working great. I'll feel congratulatable when said failure turns into a success, and we've got some months to go before that's the case.

1 comments:

jenny_fur said...

I think you have been pretty clear about the whole congratulations things, why people don't get it at this point is beyond me.
I realized yesterday, since I normally default to the c-word for such announcements, its mostly because I don't have a good association with pregnancy given the ratio of friends who've had abortions versus friends who have actual kids. My instinct reaction, if I don't default to congrats, would invariably be something like "shit, i'm sorry" or "do you need $300" or "let me kick that asswipes teeth in for ya'".
More recently, it becomes a matter of "well great there is another friend we won't see more than once a year anymore". The c-word prevents me, on most occasions, from being an even bigger asshole.

Post a Comment