Friday, March 13, 2009

That was easy

There is diet pepsi all over the house. I mean, I love this stuff. It's the juice that runs through my veins, right? I quit, cold turkey, on Wednesday; I've been drinking water ever since. I always hated drinking water, and right now I can't get enough of it. I wonder if 18 months off the pepsi (9 for gestation, 9 for lactation) will finally cure me of it. I look at it here in the house and think bleagck! Fortunately, my boss knows, and I can pass it on to her, as she's a fan. I just figure if things like ibuprofen and whatnot are bad for me right now, what the hell is all that aspartame doing to us? So WHAM. It really was easy to walk away from something I couldn't live without just a few days ago. I wonder what other bad habits bunky will cure me of.

I'm sticking with a highly modified version of Weight Watchers right now because I need the program for dietary structure. I'm obsessing over nutrition, partly because I was already on my way to that before I found out I was pregnant.

Some interesting information I found today indicates that because I'm overweight (but not obese anymore!!), I should plan on gaining 15-25 pounds. I'm going to continue exercising through this, although some of my routines will doubtless need to be modified. I wrote to Jennifer Kries tonight to ask her if I could continue, but I also may start using the treadmill at work.

6 comments:

jenny_fur said...

If you don't like plain old water try Water Sensations. They are flavored and sweetened with Splenda as opposed to Crystal Lite, which is aspartame. Ocean Spray has also started making flavor packets for their water. I'm not sure what it is sweetened with though.

jenny_fur said...

You could also look at organic juices and sodas. Some of them aren't hideous if you need a quick fix. While I love Coke Zero, on average I drink one can per day, so I haven't been overly worried about the negative effects of diet soda since my consumption is rather low. Although, I probably ingest a ton of aspartame from other sources.

Helen said...

Yeah, I have some old knudsen's spritzers lying around...not sure if they are still good, but I'm wagering they will taste much better to me now, so I'm going to give them a whirl. I also had a non-diet ginger ale this morning and it tasted amazing--usually I associate it with when I'm not feeling well. Either that or I had forgotten what it tasted like without artificial sweetener.

jenny_fur said...

Yah ginger ale i can only handle if I am nauseous. If I am not nauseous it makes me nauseous.

the_autumn_knew said...

did jennifer kries write back to you about continuing with pilates?

Helen said...

Yeah, she did. Told me to listen to my body and don't push it. I got a book on pregnancy pilates over the weekend to do some research on what I can and can't do. Kries' pilates workouts are so core oriented that I'm a little worried. But the yoga is nice.

Post a Comment