Tuesday, June 23, 2009

This is my cranky, again!

There are 3,059,0348,269,050 things that can kill/maim/disfigure/etc. babies.

I get told of at least 8 of them each day, usually because I'm doing at least two of them. Examples include that I clean the litterbox that my only-indoor cat uses (wearing gloves and a mask, and washing my hands for 2 minutes afterward), and yesterday's brie-on-ham sandwich that I drew flak for eating even though I'd heated the ham and brie so long the latter was threatening to bubble away.

I don't know whether I'm sensitive to this kind of thing because I was once accused of child neglect because a then-3-year-old Kieran wandered out my front door and down the street wearing a T-shirt and overnight pants, but it remains that I'm sensitive to the overload.

But I think I'm just sensitive to it because it's a barrage, even when it comes from well-meaning friends. Every day something new turns out to be teratogenic, or some baby product gets a massive recall, and pregnant women go insane with all the Danger: Will Robinson news that crosses the wires each day.

If you run across interesting information that ties in with pregnancy, I would very very much appreciate it if you shared it in a more general way so that it doesn't get lumped in with the barrage. Pretend, just to humor me, that I'm not your only pregnant friend.

(Now that I think about it, I'm amazed that no one has sent me a note about the cookie dough recall, since that would have a much higher chance of affecting me even though I finally quit looking at it as a snack food when I started addressing my binge eating problem.)

I really do try to keep a sense of humor about this stuff. I do.

But that sense of humor skips to "fail" a lot more easily lately.

1 comments:

etcet said...

I often wonder about the folks who get all militant about pre-natal health and child safety concerns, and whether or not they realize that pretty much every other species on the planet, and for most of the history of the human race, anything more than boiling water and someone to help have been the *exception,* and it's not like we're hurting for extra meat puppets.
Now, granted, infant and maternal mortality rates are far, far lower now that we know WTF we're doing, but still. You're not doing kegstands on a rusty fence here; you're eating a sandwich.
People are weird.

Post a Comment