Thursday, June 4, 2009

Feed me, I'm your parasite!

Ever since the nausea abated, I find myself waking up with low-level headaches that don't go away until I find the right food to eat. And I never have any idea what that is, because I have this voracious appetite but nothing I eat tastes _good_ other than frozen fruit bars and ice cubes. (I know, that probably means I'm dehydrated, but it's been consistent even when I drink a gallon of water over the course of a workday, which I usually do.) And ice from my freezer isn't good enough, although if ever I was contemplating upgrading my fridge to one with an icemaker, it's now, even though I don't have the money for it or the water line I'd need to run to make it work. Really, I want to gut the kitchen and build my dream one, knock down the deck in the back and build a patio surrounded by garden, and renovate the upstairs bathroom to have a separate bath and shower and to look more like my aunt's upstairs bathroom.

A little overmotivated, probably, but in the meantime I've been a cleaning fiend when I've had the energy to be such.

This headache thing is just wrong, though. And I can never figure out what it is that Bunky and my body are conspiring to get me to eat. For a while it was ketchup-friendly foods, but it's not that now. (And I think it's funny how many people think ketchup is the thing I craved during my first pregnancy in my "how well do you know Helen" quiz on Facebook.)

In the meantime, my strange pregnant girl behavior has been to go to 7-11 and get a Big Gulp filled to the top with ice and a little bit (about the equivalent of a single can) of Coke in it--or go somewhere else where there's a self-serve drink station and do the same. I drink the Coke and then eat all the ice, which is something I have _never_ done in my life. My mom is an ice chomper and I can't stand the sound, generally, but right now it's the best thing ever.

4 comments:

autumnyte said...

Let me apologize in advance for saying something you probably know: craving ice can be a sign of anemia. I'm sure you're aware of the link and up-to-date on your bloodwork, but I felt I'd be remiss not to mention it just in case.

Helen said...

I just had labwork done three days ago, so if it's that I'll hear about it. And it's not that I'm craving ice per se, it's just one of the few things I enjoy right now. The fruit bars, on the other hand, are bordering on craving.

autumnyte said...

Actually, a fruit bar sounds darn good to me as well. :-)

mountainfreak said...

get the kid bro in town and the water line to said icemaker won't cost much more than the 15 dollar kit at lowe's. brainless to install.
the fridge itself, on the other hand, can't help you with.

Post a Comment