Saturday, September 19, 2009

Week 32: The exquisite ache

Dean keeps bees, right? Well, a couple of weekends ago they totally nailed him by diving into the pockets of his beekeeping suit and stinging the hell out of his hips. He calls the itch of a bee sting "the exquisite itch," and he had it in spades the entire weekend we were in Philadelphia.

Well, today, I took a tumble out in the yard and landed on my right hip, the one that's been giving me trouble the entire pregnancy. I know it's relaxin related; the same thing that allows the women in my family to have relatively easy labors is definitely not conducive to walking. Now I can barely walk, but the pain isn't one of injury. It's just an ache that activates whenever I move it. Not sharp, not agonizing, just enough to slow me down considerably and make it look like I'm suffering horribly. Near as I can figure things just aren't lined up right. I actually went to see my chiropractor about this earlier on in my pregnancy, and he adjusted me then--I felt better for about a day and then the ache was back.

Well, now it's worse, but I just want to keep taking it easy and running things slow. But it's not just my hip, honestly. I still have a lot of rib pain, and that's been accompanied this week by pain around my belly button (site of another scar from that surgery in 2005), and a general sense of weirdness regarding my abdominal muscles, which are now clearly separated and cause my belly to form a point when I sit up using my abs.

It's frustrating, because even when I have energy I'm too sore to do anything. I'm really glad we are spending the first few months with the baby in our room, because the nursery has become a parking lot for baby gifts but I don't have any furniture to put said gifts away into.

While I'd love the baby to come a bit early and be an October baby like me, at this point I'm hoping he comes right on time, because I'm aiming to go on leave Nov. 2, and really need that week to get ready.

Had a midwife appointment this week and we talked a bit about the soreness. She prescribed a hot soak in a bath, but I have a confession to make: I'm terrified of baths, and have been since my first pregnancy when I had no option to shower. There were several times I could not get out of the tub, and I became terrified of falling in the tub. It occurs to me, very belatedly, that I could do some tweaks on our bathtub that would make it easier for me to get in and out of it, but... there is still a psychological issue there that I'm downright phobic about baths. It makes me wonder: is that why I have absolutely zero desire to do a water birth?

Aside from that, everything is still looking great. Baby seems incredibly active and healthy, and I'm gearing up for my last six weeks of work. Hard to believe it's come to that already!

2 comments:

Dani said...

Two suggestions to accomodate the bath--
1)get one of those non-slip mats for the bottom of the tub, to reduce the fear of slipping
2) Only take a bath when Dean is around, so you have someone to help you out! I know that happened to me when I was preggers with Drew. But JC was able to help pull me out. But the bath was something that I loved...I haven't taken any real baths since Drew was a baby, so you might as well while you can.

Oh, and a third option-- try a heating pad that you use wet heat. Perhaps that will give you the benefit of the hot bath without the bath. I know my chiro has me do that when things go awry. ;-)

Helen said...

Well, I wish it were that simple, but it's not. I quite simply hate baths because I had no choice but to take them during those early years of my first marriage. It's odd, because I love swimming. Perhaps if I had a larger tub, or something more jacuzzi like, I'd enjoy it more. Although now that I think about it, I'm trying to remember who I was with when I managed to ruin a romantic evening with a hot tub because the hot tub freaked me out.

Post a Comment