Monday, May 3, 2010

Speaking of books...

Because I was speaking of books earlier, to wit, "Baby Led Weaning," a resource I'd like to refer to a skeptical friend to so that she can understand it a little bit better. But it's not stocked by any of the local libraries, including Super Big County (Fairfax, VA) library system, where I have a card because I work in this county.

It made me realize that I would happily buy this book for all the local libraries if I knew for certain they would add it to their collection as opposed to shifting it over to the book sale pile.

Most libraries, however, do accept requests for books, and it occurs to me that we crunchy-inclined mamas could do ourselves a great favor by making sure our favorite books on pregnancy, birthing, and parenting are stocked by the local library. Fairfax has the books by Ina Mae Gaskin, but not the one by Henci Goer, for instance.

(Although I just found The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth on Google Books, available as a limited preview. Tell your friends!)

So my question for you, dear readers, is...

What books would you recommend for your dream library collection? What books should every library have on hand and feature more prominently than, say, What to Expect on the pregnancy/birth/parenthood display rack?

0 comments:

Post a Comment